Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pumpkins

We planted pumpkins at the beginning of June this year. It was a little early because we're already getting some good sized ones and I'm afraid they'll be ready in September, not October. But that's okay, we can always carve them early.

I didn't realize how much room pumpkins need. They are creeping into every corner of my garden. Here we've tried to wrap them along the fencing so they don't drown out the other plants.


Creeping into my cantaloupe and watermelon plants






They've even started growing outside the fence. Something has eaten all the pumpkins that were growing off this vine. I think it was a deer because we found hoof prints.
The deer have also been chowing our corn. I'm so bummed about this. I was really looking forward to corn on the cob.


Mike has started setting posts for next years garden. It's going to be a lot bigger which means more room for the pumpkins.

1 comment:

Laura Webber said...

Your garden looks sincerely AWESOME! Pumpkins are crazy aren't they... last year mine grow to over 25 feet long in just a single plant!

This year I have a pie pumpkin plant and I plan to roast it and make pumpkin bread/muffins- hopefully I'll have some leftovers to freeze too! Maybe try that kind of pumpkin next year so if it produces early it won't get wasted!

PS: pie pumpkins are smaller!!!

Happy Christmas 2021

 Christmas...it really is the most wonderful time of the year. I know that's so cheesy but as I posted all of these pictures, the though...