Saturday, June 26, 2010

Garden and flowers

I love summer. I love how everything comes into bloom and everything is so green. We planted our garden early this year. Last year it didn't get planted until late June because we were just moving in. So I was excited to get to plant a lot of things I love and hopefully, they will all produce a lot of great fruits and veggies!


This is our garden right after I planted all the seeds. Next year I want to double the size, making it wider, and plant a raspberry bush, some blueberries and a grape vine.


This was taken a few weeks later with almost everything blooming. We have cucumbers, lettuce, squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, sugar snap peas, sweet corn, green beans, and pumpkins coming up! I planted carrots and spinach later so I'm hoping they will start sprouting soon. I have already picked lettuce and had a delicious salad. It's so cool to see how fast everything is growing.

The rest are all pictures of various flowers around my house. I planted most of them, but some were from the previous owners.


These three were already here. The pink ones are hollyhocks and lillies. The white is some kind of tropical looking plant. It's about 6 feet tall and has spiky green leaves at the bottom. There are four planted around our air conditioning unit.

Daisies and more hollyhocks and my favorite: peonies! There were five huge bushes already here. I split one into four different bushes and they all came up. I'm going to split the rest as well.

Foxglove plants. They bloomed in early June, then all the flowers fell off and now they're blooming again. I had no idea they would re-bloom after the first batch died.


I love this type of day lilly. I have those very common orange ones all over our yard that I need to split as well as some red ones down by the road in an area that we need to clean up.

We have an over-abundance of irises too. I do love these though.


This rose bush was already here. I can't remember the name of the middle purple flower. I bought it at Home Depot last fall. The last purple flower is from a butterfly bush. It's gotten to over 5 feet already with all these beautiful blossoms on it. And for an added bonus, it attracts butterflies and humming birds.
We have a lot of work to do in the front of our house by the road. It's completely overgrown with hostas, day lillies, ivy, and some other kind of ground cover. We're doing a little at a time, but things are looking so pretty right now with everything blooming.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Your yard looks awesome Gina! I love your garden. Can't wait to see pictures once everything is getting ready to be picked.

Happy Christmas 2021

 Christmas...it really is the most wonderful time of the year. I know that's so cheesy but as I posted all of these pictures, the though...