Ava is loving Kindergarten. She has made a lot of friends and has a lot of fun throughout the day. She loves gym (a girl after my own heart) and lunch of course! She really likes her teacher Mrs. Allison. She sits at the green table with four of her classmates, one of them being her good friend Avery. She is doing really well with reading. She's starting to read stage 1 books. She writes really well too. It's definitely been an adjustment for her. The first few months were exhausting for her. She would come home so tired and just crash as soon as her head hit the pillow. She's starting to adjust though. She doesn't seem quite as tired and irritable when she comes home!
Ava is doing great in her Art class as well. Mike and I are artistically challenged so it shocked us when Ava came home saying she wants to be an artist when she grows up. She really loves to draw. And she's quite good at it, although I might be biased:)
I love Ava's school. The staff seems really amazing. I volunteer every Monday afternoon as a literacy tutor. I basically pull kids into the hall and work with them on letter and sound recognition. I love it. It gives me a chance to get to know the kids in her class.
Here is some of the work Ava has been accomplishing lately:
Ava has a home writing journal that she will work through until January. She draws a picture and then uses inventive spelling to write about her picture, which basically means she writes the word the way it sounds. This page was a shopping list she made up.
This was a project the students created at the beginning of the year, for the teacher to get to know them. I hate that her favorite food is Ramen Noodles! Although the way I make it, it's not that bad for her. I only use half the seasoning;)
This is a project that we worked on together for a culture day they will be having. The students were asked to tell about their ancestry. We had fun looking up common Italian words! Ava loves saying "arrevaderci!"
This last piece of art was for an alphabet book. Can you guess which page it was for!? All these friends have a name that starts with J!
It's been a tough transition for me, having her gone 8 hours a day. Sometimes I'm tempted to home school. But the fact that she's loving it so much, makes it a little easier.
1 comment:
I LOVE this post... and that Ava and I share the same favorite color!!! I'm so glad that Ava (and you too) are adjusting to Kindergarten... its a big year!
Post a Comment