I had the privilege of being part of a team of 11 people to travel to Shkoder, Albania. We left Friday, July 5th, and returned Monday, July 15. It was a very difficult, but very growing trip for me. Our agenda for the week was to put on a camp for students aged 13 to 21. We wanted to help the church in Shkoder establish closer relationships with the youth. It was amazing. We taught the students new games, led lessons, had small group time, sang songs, and just got to know them.
I stayed with a young couple named Gerti and Blerina. They were the most amazing hosts. Their apartment was about a 15 minute walk to the church. Every morning we would wake up, eat a small breakfast, then make our trek over to the church. We would start with some games, then singing, then a message and testimony, then small group time, lunch, more games or a craft, then done for the day. The camp went from 9 Am to about 3PM. On Tuesday we went up into the mountains with all the students and played Ultimate Frisbee and Football (Soccer). Many of the students who came were Muslim. To be able to share Christ with kids who have never heard the Word is such an amazing honor. Two students received Christ for the first time!
On Sunday, they took the whole group to the Adriatic Sea for baptisms and a day of swimming. Seven people were baptised that day!
On Wednesday evening, I started to feel sick. By Thursday evening, I was feeling like I was going to pass out. So for the rest of the trip, I was bed-ridden. It was a very difficult time because I was missing so much of the camp and I wasn't able to attend the baptisms. Nancy Lodwick stayed with me the entire time which was such a blessing. A nurse from the church named Elsa, visited frequently and brought to IV's for me, which helped to hydrate me. After visiting a doctor here at home, they think I acquired a parasite and severely dehydrated myself.
It was a long flight home! Sometimes things happen in life and we question God. Why did He allow me to get sick so that I would miss so much of the trip? My purpose was to go there and serve Him and instead I was lying in a bed, being served. What is the reason for that? I feel like God really grew me in this. When things happen that we don't like, we tend to question God. Then we have two responses: we get angry and bitter and turn away, or we trust that He has a purpose and continue to follow Him. Either direction we choose to go, we still don't know the answer, but which direction is better for us? And I've found that if I choose to trust Him, my heart stays soft and He tends to reveal His purposes to me, where if I get bitter, my heart hardens and I can't hear Him at all. I know getting sick was a very small thing compared to the tragedies and heartaches that people face, but I'm praying that God will keep this as a reminder to me when those big things do come along. It's better for me to trust God and know that He has a purpose for things.
I'll add a few of the pictures I took, which wasn't many! I didn't bring my good camera. Once I get pics from some of the other team members, I'll post more.
 |
| Our first day in Albania, we stopped for lunch at a hotel by the airport. |
 |
| The main meeting area at the church. We were gearing up for camp for the week. |
 |
| We went up to the fortress that was built over 1200 years ago. The views were amazing. |
 |
| The sunset up there was so beautiful too. |
 |
| This is where Nancy and I stayed for the week. |
 |
| This is Blerina, our lovely hostess. |
 |
| Up in the mountains the second day of camp, playing soccer! |
 |
| I was able to meet Esmerelda 14 years ago on my first trip to Shkoder. She made a trip up to visit everyone! |
 |
| Teaching the students "Steal the Bacon." They loved this game! |
 |
| Pauling was another person I was able to meet 14 years ago and he also made the trip over from Kosovo to come visit us! |
No comments:
Post a Comment