I have loved my garden. We have had a great crop this year. I planted about 12 tomato plants (cherry, grape, roma, and one other kind) and they are going crazy. So my mom and I decided to can some salsa. It turned out so good, I decided to blog about it. Everything we used was from our garden, except the seasonings.
We tried roasting the peppers first. We put chile, jalapeno, yellow, orange, and green peppers in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. After they came out, we cut off the stems and took out most of the seeds, then put them through the food processor. We didn't process for too long, basically pulsed for a few seconds so the peppers looked like this:
Then we took the yellow and red onions from my garden and did the same with them in the food processor (pulsing). They turned out like this:
We used mostly the grape, roma, and cherry tomatoes for this salsa. We also pulsed them in the processor, then squeezed the juice out with our hands.
We chopped up some fresh garlic.
Then threw some fresh cilantro in the food processor. Have I mentioned that I love that thing? To think I almost sold it at a garage sale! I love cilantro too.
After all the veggies and herbs were chopped up, we added them all together with a tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin, and a teaspoon of salt. Oh man is this some tasty salsa! This is what the end result looked like:
Mike hates salsa... hates it. No joke. I asked him if he would try this because it's all from our garden and he loves that. He reluctantly tried it, and LOVED it. He ended up eating half a jar! It is really good. We canned about 12 quarts of it! And most of my tomatoes haven't even ripened yet!
Here's the full recipe:
4 Cups tomatoes (pulsed in the food processor and liquid squeezed out)
1 cup onions (pulsed in FP)
1/4 Cup peppers (pulsed in FP)
1 T. chopped garlic
2 T. chopped cilantro
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cumin
Mix all ing. together and enjoy. You could skip the food processor and just chop all the veggies to any thickness you want. It would probably be good chunky!
To can this, you put the salsa in jars and cook them in the pressure cooker for 25 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure. I don't start timing till it starts rattling.
No comments:
Post a Comment